Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Poncho - poem










Poncho
Poncho was my soulmate
He was a gift from my Aunt and Uncle
Who had him
When they lived in New Mexico

Aunt and Uncle came to Wisconsin
For family reunion
They brought two of their dogs along
Poncho was one of them

Poncho and I clicked together
When we first met
Poncho followed me around
As I was alone at the family reunion

Poncho and I played,
Hugged and kissed
I felt him as my soulmate
As my life was changing when
I had to start a new school
With no friend

Aunt and Uncle talked to my parent
About letting me have Poncho
So that I have a friend and
Someone to love me

Oh yeah, that was the
Most wonderful gift
I received so much love from Poncho
As we grew together

Poncho was devoted to me
He was always at the doorstep
Waiting for me
When I came home from school

Poncho knew I was deaf
When someone at the door
He will looked at me
And ran to the door
I knew what he was telling me

When the phone rang
He will looked at me
And ran to the phone
Again I knew what it was about

Poncho and I really understood
Each other so well
He was my best friend
He listened to my sorrow
He gave me kisses when
I shed some tears

Then one day
He was not at the door
As usually
I called out his names
My parent was in the kitchen
And said nothing
They waited until I ask them

That was the day
My heart was broken so bad
And I became unworthily
You see,
My parent gave Poncho away
Because my cousin was allergy to the dog
Mom babysat my cousins
The babysitting only lasted a short time

I felt that my cousin
Was more important than me
I was alone
And didn't have any friends
At the new school
Where I was the only deaf student

For many months
I hid in the closet
And cried for Poncho

For many years
I felt I was unworthily
To anyone

For many years
I felt the pain that
My parent took away
The love of my best friend,
Poncho from me

That was the day
I strived for love
And had fear that love
Will be taking away from me

Written By
Pamela Joachim
February 22, 2006

2 comments:

Vinita said...

This was the most beautiful poem I have ever come across... :))) This must be a true story, right? All this happened with u? If yes, what a beautiful way of putting ur life into beautiful and touching words.

Pammie said...

Yes, what I wrote is how I feel and been through...
Thanks for liking my poem...