Monday, March 23, 2009

The Story of the Sea Captain

I was reading a book and I found this story about the Sea Captain. It touch my heart and I had to share this.

The Story of the Sea Captain

An ungodly sea captain was stricken with a fatal disease in mid-ocean. The ship’s doctor said, “Captain, you cannot live more than twenty-four hours.” The old captain was terrified and wasn’t prepared to die. He demanded that someone from his crew come and read to him the Bible and pray for him.

Finally, the cook’s boy, little Willie Platt, entered the captain’s quarters quietly. The captain said, “Willie, I want you to read something about God having mercy on a sinner like me.” At first the boy didn’t know what text to read, but finally he found a verse that had been marked by his mother before she died. It was Isaiah 53: 5
But He was wounded for your transgressions. He was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed. (NKJV)

But the servant was pierced because we had sinned. He was crushed because we had done what was evil. He was punished to make us whole again. His wounds have healed us. (NIrV)

The captain said, “That sounds like what I need. Read it again.” Encouraged by the captain’s response, Willie said, “Captain, I would like to read this verse the way my mother taught me to read it.” “That will be fine, Willie,” responded the captain.

Slowly and reverently Willie read: “But Jesus was pierced because Willie Platt had sinned. Jesus was crushed because Willie Platt had done what was evil. Jesus was punished to make Willie Platt whole again. Jesus’ wounds have healed Willie Platt.” (Put your name down as you replace Willie Platt)

By this time the captain was halfway over the edge of the bed. He said, “Son, read it again and put your old captain’s name in there.” Then Willie again reverently read: Jesus was pierced because John Clout had sinned. Jesus was crushed because John Clout had done what was evil. Jesus was punished to make John Clout whole again. Jesus’ wounds have healed John Clout.”

The captain fell back upon his pillow and repeated over and over again this beautiful text, putting his own name into it every time. Finally light from heaven broke in upon his darkened soul. He received him who saves to the uttermost.

I want to put my name into this text, don’t you? And let’s do it again in Hebrews 13:5b

For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (NKJV)

For Jesus has said, “I will never leave _________ nor forsake __________.”
your name your name
(Search for Truth Seminar by LaVerne Tucker)

No comments: